DevOps is a coined word that describes the relationship between the groups of development and operations. It is a movement that was born to address the issue of conflict between these two groups. Represents a cultural shift that permeates throughout an entire organization focused on three critical elements of value realization. They are communication, collaboration, and learning.
In many organizations, Development and Operations teams operate in silos, unable to deliver value. Each group has different responsibilities, priorities, and goals, creating a wall of confusion. Each group establishes its practices and procedures, creating unnecessary bureaucracy and waste that hinders the value streams. This silo mindset increases reliance on systems and tools that eventually become obsolete and forced to work with short-term patches and intentions to repair things later.
For many years, I T has devoted most of its time and resources to maintaining business operations. As a result, they fall back on outdated tools to support existing processes without the possibility of improving them. Instead, I T should allocate its time and resources on helping the business innovate, grow, and transform.
DevOps emerged to help I T find the balance between change and stability that the business requires to deliver value. The five pillars, known as CALMS, describe the principles and concepts of DevOps:
- There is a culture of shared responsibility.
- IT will continually seek out ways to automate as many tasks as possible and are comfortable with the idea of continuous delivery.
- Lean emphasizes process simplicity and streamlined value streams.
- Everything is measured, and there are mechanisms in place that provide visibility and transparency.
- There are user-friendly communication channels that encourage the sharing of knowledge between development and operations.
DevOps improves the relationship between IT and the business delivering five key benefits:
- Faster time to market
- Integrated initiatives
- Improvement in the quality of code and deployment
- Increased productivity and agility
- Visibility and transparency are present across the organization.